FBI Report on the Official and Unofficial Theology of the UC
FBI File – Report about the UC to FBI San Francisco, September 1975
A letter from the Church of the Nazarene in Seoul, reproduced on pages 9-11 of this FBI Report gives an interesting summary of the official and the unofficial theology of the Unification Church.
Extract from the FBI report referring to the letter:
[Unknown] further provided a letter containing information about Sun-Myung Moon prepared by the Church of the Nazarene, Korean Mission, Box 63, Young Deung T.O., Seoul, Korea. The letter indicates that Mr. Moon is the founder of the Unification Church which is officially titled “The Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity“. Moon was born in Chung Ju, North Korea, in 1920. In his teenage years, Moon is said to have seen frequent visions and to have grown up surrounded by an atmosphere of mysticism. The letter indicates that he has divorced three wives having had one child by each of them. He was accused in 1955 of conducting a group sex orgie for which he served a three-month jail term. Moon founded his organization in 1954 basing it on his supposed religious visions. The letter alleges that actually Moon borrowed his doctrines from those taught at the Monastery of Israel.
The following doctrinal statement with [was] filed with the Korean Government by Moon’s Unification Association:
1) The one creator is the only God and father.
2) The only son, Jesus, is mankind’s savior.
3) The Second Advent of Jesus is in Korea.
4) Mankind shall become one united family centered around the event of the Second Coming.
5) Ultimate salvation rests upon the elimination of Hell and evil while establishing good and the Kingdom of Heaven.
The letter additionally states that the group also secretly observes such other beliefs and practices as the following:
1) Founder Moon is the Second Advent Jesus.
2) A believer receives a spiritual body by participating in a ceremony known as blood cleansing which is for women to have sexual intercourse with Moon and for men to have intercourse with such a woman. This idea of blood cleansing comes from the teaching that Eve committed immorality with the Serpent and she passes on to all of us serpent blood.
3) Secretly observed doctrines are Holy covenant and are of more value than the Bible.
4) Members who have experienced blood cleansing can produce sinless generation [children].
5) Founder Moon is sinless.
The letter indicates that, according to the National Religious Statistics published in 1969, the Unification group has 936 churches and 304,750 members in Korea. Leaders of other religious groups say that these figures are greatly exaggerated. There are no elders or ministers in the Unification Movement. The Unification group operates several business enterprises in Korea. A novel feature of Unification is mass wedding ceremonies which it performs. Once founder Moon joined 777 couples in wedlock. Mr. Moon has bought $100,000 ads in the New York Times newspaper to publicize his movement. Great and sweeping claims are made by the Unification members concerning their strength in Korea. Actually, they are not an important influence in Korean society. One may travel extensively in Korea and never see one of their meeting centers or never meet a follower of Reverend Moon.